To protect you from COVID-19, we are offering a quick and easy remote intake process by telephone or video chat. Call us at 314-241-1020. Learn More

Posted on January 13, 2012 by

Boy Hospitalized After Swallowing Fake Tongue Ring

Health authorities have issued an advisory warning about fake tongue rings after a 13-year-old boy swallowed one and is now facing surgery to have it removed.

The magnetic tongue rings are designed to mimic real tongue piercings, using small magnets to keep the metal pieces connected to the top and bottom of the tongue.

The magnets can cause damage to internal organs and intestines if swallowed, because the magnetic force pulls the pieces together inside the body. The metal in the tongue rings can also cause blood poisoning.

Doctors may have to perform surgery to remove the metal pieces from the stomach of the 13-year-old boy, who accidentally swallowed them after a tongue ring was given to him by a classmate.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had previously issued a warning to parents about the dangers of faux tongue-rings in 2006.

The tongue rings can be purchased online for as little as $5.

For information on defective products casescontact Hoffman & Gelfman Attorneys, P.C. at toll free (866) 298-1020 or visit us on the web at