To protect you from COVID-19, we are offering a quick and easy remote intake process by telephone or video chat. Call us at 314-241-1020. Learn More

Posted on September 28, 2017 by

You’ve Been Involved in a Car Accident – Can You Sue for Pain and Suffering?

People who have been victims in car accidents often want to know if they can sue for pain and suffering. If you’ve been in a car accident in St. Louis, you may want an answer to this question as well.

What is Pain and Suffering?

The legal definition of pain and suffering is two-fold. It refers to:

• The amount of physical pain you experienced as a result of the accident

• Any psychological or emotional pain or trauma you experienced because of the accident

Pain and suffering is different from other parts of your car accident claim, such as lost wages or medical bills. It’s important for you to get medical treatment so that your pain and suffering can be proven.

How is Pain and Suffering Calculated?

There are different ways that amounts for pain and suffering can be calculated. The insurance company may multiply your medical bills by a number between 1 and 5, depending on the severity of your accident. They could also offer you a generalized amount based on your injury.

Can You Sue for Pain and Suffering?

Every accident is different, and this question is best answered by a St. Louis car accident lawyer. If you have been in a car accident, please don’t try to represent yourself.

Working with a St. Louis car accident lawyer gives you the best chance of getting an award for pain and suffering. We’ll be happy to help.