Popcorn Lung Victim Awarded 7.2 Million Dollars
A federal jury awarded 7.2 million in damages to a Coloradoman who developed a condition known as popcorn lung from a diacetyl, a chemical used in the flavoring of microwave popcorn.
After a nine day trial, the jury determined that an Illinois popcorn manufacturer and supermarket chain that sold and placed the defective product into the stream of commerce were negligent in failing to warn on labels that the butter flavouring was dangerous.
The condition, known as bronchiolitis obliterans, is irreversible and is an obstructive lung disease which makes it difficult for air to flow out of the lungs.
Mr. Watson was diagnosed in 2007 at Denver’s National Jewish Health, a respiratory health center, after years of inhaling the smell of artificial butter on the popcorn he said he ate daily. The verdict was the latest in a line of cases in the past 15 years, starting with workers in popcorn plants where diacetyl was an ingredient that has linked the chemical to health problems.
Jurors found Gilster-Mary Lee Corp., the Chester, Ill., private-labeling manufacturer of the popcorn, liable for 80 percent of the $7,217,961 damages and the King Soopers supermarket chain and its parent, Kroger Co, liable for 20 percent.
If you or someone you care about has been seriously injured by a defective product or the negligence of another, call our experienced attorneys for a free consultation. At Hoffman & Gelfman we aggressively represent our clients who are seriously injured as a result of a product defect and assist them and their families in recovering fair compensation for their injuries and losses.